Depression Counseling and the Treatment of Mood Disorders in NYC
Dr. Dmitry Malkin
Depression is more than just feeling unhappy or down for a few days.
Everybody goes through some period of low mood or feeling depressed, but clinical depression can be that you feel sad for weeks or even months on end. While depression is still misunderstood by many, it is a genuine illness with significant symptoms. It is not a sign that you are somehow weak or inadequate because you are unable to “snap out of it.” Depression is an invisible illness but fortunately, with the right treatment and support, most people make a full recovery.
Do I Have Depression?
It is important that you see a doctor if you think you have depression. The fact that you think there is something wrong suggests that it is, at least, worth checking out, and the sooner, the better.
Psychological Symptoms of Depression include:
- continuous low mood or sadness
- feeling hopeless and helpless
- having low self-esteem
- feeling tearful
- feeling guilt-ridden
- feeling irritable and intolerant of others
- having no motivation or interest in things
- finding it difficult to make decisions
- not getting any enjoyment out of life
- feeling anxious or worried
- having suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself
Physical Symptoms of Depression include:
- moving or speaking more slowly than usual
- change in appetite or weight (usually decreased, but sometimes increased)
- unexplained aches and pains
- lack of energy or lack of interest in sex (loss of libido)
- changes to your menstrual cycle
- disturbed sleep (for example, finding it hard to fall asleep at night or waking up very early in the morning)
Depression is quite common and affects about 10% of us at some point. It affects men and women, young and old. Dr. Dmitry Malkin is a constructive and empathetic professional who will work with you to find an appropriate treatment for your needs. Depression is a multifaceted illness with some different types, and your treatment, be it with medication, or talking therapy, or usually a combination of the two, will depend on the kind of depression you have.
Whatever your circumstances or needs, Dr. Malkin is the experienced professional who can guide you through an effective treatment.